An employee who has completed 90 days of employment may apply for educational assistance. Classes eligible for reimbursement are those that have started after the 90 days of employment. Educational assistance will be considered for coursework, which will enhance the professional, NKCH related skills of the employee. Employees should contact Human Resources if they have questions regarding whether or not a class will be approved for reimbursement.
(1) A full-time or part-time employee is eligible for educational reimbursement based on scheduled hours.
Coursework is credited to the calendar year (Jan. 1st – Dec. 31st) in which the employee is reimbursed.
If an employee involuntarily changes scheduled hours while completing coursework, that employee will be reimbursed based on their scheduled hours as of the start of the course(s).
An employee who voluntarily changes scheduled hours while completing coursework will be reimbursed based upon scheduled hours when the course is completed. (A change in scheduled hours as a result of progressive discipline will be considered voluntary.)
An employee on a leave of absence (paid or unpaid) will not be eligible for reimbursement for coursework taken during the leave.
(2) To apply for reimbursement, employees must submit to Human Resources (no later than Friday of any week) a completed Education Reimbursement, along with receipts for tuition, fees, books, and verification that the course(s) has been satisfactorily completed within 90 days of completionof thecourse(s). Unpaid invoices and/or class brochures are not valid receipts. Appropriate receipts must show what you personally paid for the class/seminar. Copies of checks (front and back), bank statements and credit card statements area cceptable. If you have a loan for the classes, you can provide copies of the loan agreement.
Reimbursement checks will be direct deposited with normal paycheck.
(3) In order to receive a reimbursement check, an individual must still be employed by the Hospital at the time the supplemental check is produced.
(4) An employee will be eligible for reimbursement based on scheduled hours up to the maximum amount listed below.
48-40 $ 900.00
The Internal Revenue Service may consider the educational assistance reimbursement as taxable income.
Items Not Eligible for Reimbursement
- Membership dues and/or fees for recertification unrelated to the completion of a course or test.
- Food, travel expenses, lodging
- Shipping and handling charges
- Any fees incurred to obtain proof of payment or course completion
- Books, video tapes, school supplies, or any materials that are not necessary for course completion