In the event of the death of an immediate family member, the hospital provides up to 24 hours off work without loss of pay.
Bereavement-Funeral leave is only to cover shifts that have been previously scheduled. Therefore, if you are an 8 hour shift employee this may be up to 3 scheduled work days; If you are a 10 hour shift employee this may be up to 2.4 scheduled work days. If you are a 12 hour shift employee, this may be up to 2 scheduled work days.
“An Immediate Family member” is defined as:
- child, son-in-law, daughter-in-law; stepchild
- grandparent; grandparent-in-law; step-grandparent
- parent, parent-in-law, stepparent
- brother, brother-in-law; stepbrother
- sister, sister-in-law; and stepsister
- any dependent residing in your household
Any additional time off can be taken as PTO with approval from your director.
- An employee must obtain approval from the department director before the leave begins.
- To be paid for bereavement-funeral leave, the employees should access the appropriate staffing software program for their department (API Scheduling or the Time Call System). When asked to enter a pay code in the Time Call System, the employee should enter “69” for bereavement time.
- If necessary, the designated Time Card or Scheduling Supervisor can manually enter the number of hours that the employee is to be paid for bereavement-funeral time.